
My kit arrived a few days ago so I'm celebrating Earth Day by Bokashi-ing. I'm stoked with the dealer I purchased it from because they also provided a small compost bin to collect your food scraps in, along with a measuring cup for the bran and a masher to mix and mash down the food scraps and they charge way less than other dealers. Other dealers send you just the bin and bran. So if you're interested and looking to get a kit holler and I'll direct you to the right source. And no, they're not paying me to advertise. What I'm really looking forward to is the tea it produces during fermentation. You dilute the tea with water and use to fertilize plants, prevent drain clogging and sanitizes your septic system. I posted a video about this composting method not too long ago so here are some more facts and a few pictures I took starting it up...
Adding a base layer of Bokashi bran to the bottom:

First layer consisted of old food in the fridge (spinach, mushrooms, strawberries and pineapples):

Bokashi Benefits:
- Indoor composting (great of urban living or composting start up)
- No smell, no worms, no flies (thank you microbes!)
- Compact (you can place it under your kitchen sink or tucked away somewhere)
- Meat, fish and dairy can be safely composted (I guess you can't add these in outdoor regular/wormy composting methods)
- Fermented organic material will improve soil structure in your garden and decontaminate soil from harmful pathogens and pollutants
- Plants will bloom with Bokashi compost and tea (I've seen Bokashi users post before and after shots of their plants... AMAZING)
- Low-impact solution by recycling and redirecting food waste away from landfills :)
No comments:
Post a Comment